Sunday, June 23, 2013

Constitutional Peasant



Arthur:I am your king!
Woman:Well, I didn't vote for you.
Arthur:You don't vote for kings.
Woman:Well, how did you become King, then?
Arthur:The Lady of the Lake,... [angels sing] ...her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. [singing stops] That is why I am your king!
Dennis:Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Arthur:Be quiet!
Dennis:Well, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
Arthur:Shut up!
Dennis:I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!
Arthur:Shut up, will you? Shut up!
Dennis:Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.
Arthur:Shut up!
Dennis:Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
Arthur:Bloody peasant!
Dennis:Oh, what a give-away. Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about. Did you see him repressing me? You saw it, didn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment